Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Descending into the underground realm in the late afternoon

The stretching trail behind me, a wry 's,
Wends her winding way up to the far distance
So that I no longer can see, nor remember, the beginning
High up, near the promontory bluff

The shortening path before me, drops off,
But not so very far that, though still hidden,
I can not see near his end
Where he finally drops precipitously into the gaping
Caverns below

Walk this way
Now I stroll on down this way
Maybe I’ll stop here or there

Perhaps to see some small furry creature
Scurrying across the way
Never seen again

Perhaps to note some small plant
Growing along by the way
No one noticed before

Here’s a small stone
Being right in the way
Streaked with such beauty

All most alive

No longer so youthfully eager
To speed on down the trail
As previously, I once was

The son once so bright
now casting into shade.

Maybe I would linger
Here, ᾍδης still unseen
A little longer
On the trail
Before I reach
My journey’s end.

No comments: